PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
GUIDELINE ON USE OF CAMPAIGN MATERIALS IN KOGI STATE AHEAD OF 2023 GUBERNITORIAL ELECTION
Ahead of the November 11,2023 gubernatorial election, the Kogi State Signage and Advertisement Agency has issued guidelines on the use of election campaign materials in Kogi State, in accordance with its mandate to control and regulate advert displays in the State, as provided under Section 5(1)(a-o) of the Kogi State Signage and Advertisment Law, 2022.
KOSSA is poised to assist all political parties, politicians, and supporters in ensuring hitch-free and level playing ground in the use of political campaign and advertising materials in the State.
The Agency strongly urges everyone to comply with the theguidelines to ensure sanity and to protect the environment from defilement, visual blight and other adverse effects of uncontrolled deployment and display of political campaign materials within the State before, during and after the Gubernatorial election in November, 2023.
This guideline is issued without prejudice to any political party, association or Candidate as it is the Agency’s intention to ensure fairness among all participants while judiciously performing its duties and applying the rules without sentiment or bias.
The following are the guidelines as they apply to all Political parties before, during and after the November 11, 2023 Gubernatorial elections in Kogi State.
1. Political Campaigns Materials on billboards may be deployed on existing structures owned and operated by outdoor advertising practitioners who are duly registered with the Agency and have obtained permits for such sites and structures.
2. Each billboard erected must be made of standard and sturdy materials to ensure they do not fall or block the roads or constitute risk to Citizenry and commuters.
3. Posters must not be pasted on public utility structures such as Street lamps, poles, Transformers, the Ganaja fly-over and other unauthorized surfaces except as duly authorized by the Agency upon payment of relevant fees.
4. in addition to the sum of N5,000,000.00 fee payment to the Agency by Political Parties wishing to deploy campaign materials within the State, each billboards erected by Parties, Candidates or
Supporters attracts fee of ofN2,000,000.00
5. The sum of N1,000,000.00 will be charged as fee payable to the Agency by Political Parties for every banner displayed in public places.
6. Arefundable Caution fee of N50,000,000.00(Fifty Million Naira only) shall be charged by the Agency for the deployment of all campaign materials before, during and after the election.
7. Campaign posters of all Candidates are hereby banned in the following parts of Kogi State:
a. Lokoja Metropolis
d. Yagba West
8. All Political parties and Candidatesmust removethe campaign materials not more than Ten(10)days after the Gubernatorial elections on November 11th, 2023.
9. Parties, Candidates and Supporters must refrain from the use of unsavory languageson opponents andto be mindful of the contents of their campaign materials.
Please note that all Participants are strongly advised to adhere strictly to these guidelines as defaulters, or anyone involved in any forms of impunity, lawlessness in the deployment of political campaign materials will be made to face the consequences of their actions.
Hon. Osaseyi Richard General Manager
Kogi Sate Signage and Advertisement Agency